Making a Difference/Making Proud Choices
This training will introduce participants to two research proven curricula—Making a Difference! and Making Proud Choices! — and will provide the skills necessary to implement each of the curriculum with youth. Both curricula are integrated (teen pregnancy and HIV) prevention programs consisting of eight one-hour modules for middle school youth. Both curricula emphasize abstinence as the safest and best choice for adolescents. Making a Difference! emphasizes that young adolescents should postpone sexual activity and provides intensive educational strategies to help them do so. Making Proud Choices! covers abstinence in detail, but also emphasizes the importance of using condoms to reduce the risk of pregnancy and STD among sexually active participants.
Throughout this two-day training participants will learn how to become facilitators of both curricula. In addition, participants will receive a general overview of core concepts related to reproductive health as it relates to teen pregnancy prevention in South Carolina. Topics covered include Reproductive anatomy/physiology, adolescent growth and development, HIV/STIs, contraceptive technology, and strategies for teaching comprehensive sexuality education that meet the standards set forth by the Comprehensive Health Education Act (CHEA).
As a result of participating in this training, participants will be able to:
- Understand the objectives, content, activities, components, and unique features of the Making a Difference! (MAD) and Making Proud Choices! (MPC) curricula.
- Understand the theoretical foundation of MAD and MPC and how they are applied in program activities.
- Understand the teaching methodologies used in MAD and MPC.
- Learn basic information relating to HIV, STDs, adolescent pregnancy prevention, and adolescent sexual development.
- Demonstrate teaching condom use, problem solving, and negotiation skills.
- Identify their own values and the impact of those values on their ability to effectively teach about adolescent sexuality issues.
- Identify guidelines for answering sensitive questions regarding sexuality, HIV, STDs, and adolescent pregnancy prevention.
- Identify potential barriers to implementing the Making a Difference
NOTE: You must purchase the curriculum for this training directly from ETR and bring it with you to the training. We will be training from the revised 5th editions, not the school editions.
Trainers: Chris Rollison and Denise Rivera
Cost: $120 (discount available for grantees and funded partners)
Monck's Corner, SC