Let's Talk Month
Every October, the SC Campaign participates in Let’s Talk Month, a public awareness campaign led by Advocates for Youth that encourages open communication between young people and their parents or other trusted adults. Believe it or not, teens want to hear from their parents regarding love, sex, and relationships. Starting age-appropriate conversations early and into early adulthood will help young people make smarter decisions regarding their sexual health.
Host a Let's Talk Party
Host a Let’s Talk Party by gathering of 8-10 friends who are “trusted adults” in the life of a young person—parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, older siblings, cousins, coaches, teachers, and youth leaders. Host a meal at your home, have dinner out, have a coffee hour at a local coffee-shop, etc., and make taking with young people about love, sex and relationships the focus.
Spread the Let's Talk message via social media. Share the posts and graphics below on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram using the hashtag #LetsTalkSC.
Social Media Graphics
Social Media Posts
- Get tips for talking with your teen about love, sex and relationships. http://bit.ly/2mUuJOD #LetsTalkSC
- Think your child is too young to for you to start “The Talk?” Read our age-appropriate guidelines for advice. http://bit.ly/2mYkmdp #LetsTalkSC
- Talking with your child about dating will help them make better choices in relationships. Find out how: http://bit.ly/2w6UpNL #LetsTalkSC
- Did you know talking with teens about birth control makes them more likely to delay sex? Learn more: http://bit.ly/2o8VWxS #LetsTalkSC
- Don’t forget about the boys! Talk to your son about your family values related to sex and relationships. http://bit.ly/2mwmay2 #LetsTalkSC
- Empower your daughter. Talk to her about her personal value and birth control options. http://bit.ly/2fteOZq #LetsTalkSC
- 1 in 5 teens have sent or posted a semi-nude photo. Talk to your teen about sexting/staying safe online. http://bit.ly/2o8B21K #LetsTalkSC
- Are you an aunt, uncle, teacher, coach, or pastor? We need you to talk to the young people in your life. http://bit.ly/2vmk9pb #LetsTalkSC
- South Carolina schools can’t teach your teens everything about sex. Talk to your teen today. http://bit.ly/2o8BywI #LetsTalkSC
Take the Let's Talk Challenge
Challenge yourself and other trusted adults to start talking with the young people in your life about love, sex and relationships for one month.
Public Awareness Resources
Promote parent-child communication by hanging posters in your community. Download here.