Abstinence: The First and Best Choice
We believe that adolescents should wait to have sex. As a faith leader, you’re in a unique position to positively influence your congregation--especially young people.
Did you know that 57% of teens and 52% of adults think that religious leaders and groups should be doing more to prevent teen pregnancy?1
What You Can Do
- Model positive, healthy, and joyful attitudes about human sexuality and relationships.
- Create a "safe space" where young people can discuss relationships, intimacy and sexuality among trained youth leaders.
- Make sure children and teenagers understand what your faith tradition says about love, relationships and intimacy.
- Use our Faith-Based Resources to help your church address teen pregnancy in a way that's right for you.
Learn more about how faith leaders can support young people in making smart decisions about their sexual health.
- The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy. (2013). Survey Says: What's Faith Got to Do With It? Washington, DC.