Reducing the Risk Curriculum Training of Facilitators
This training will introduce participants to a research proven curriculum – Reducing the Risk– and will provide the skills necessary to implement the curriculum with youth. RTR can be implemented with high school students in both rural and urban areas. It has been used successfully with students from a range of racial/ethnic backgrounds. Initially designed primarily for ninth grade students, it can be used with students in other appropriate grades (e.g., 8–12) or the appropriate age (e.g., 13–18). The curriculum consists of sixteen, fifty minute modules with the greatest emphasis on teaching students the interpersonal or social skills they can use to abstain or protect themselves. Reducing the Risk takes a comprehensive approach to adolescent SEX and HIV/STD education, including both information on abstinence and condoms. Throughout this two-day training, participants will learn how to become effective facilitators of the curriculum while learning tips for answering sensitive questions and how to identify potential barriers to implementing this evidence based program.
As a result of participating in this training, participants will be able to:
1. Understand the objectives, content, activities, and unique features of the Reducing the Risk curriculum.
2. Understand the theoretical foundation of the Reducing the Risk curriculum and how they are applied in program activities.
3. Apply teaching methodologies used in the Reducing the Risk curriculum through Teach Back Sessions.
4. Identify basic information relating to HIV and STD prevention, contraception and condom use.
5. Identify personal values and the impact of those values on their ability to effectively teach about adolescent sexuality issues.
6. Identify guidelines for answering sensitive questions regarding sexuality, HIV, STDs, and adolescent pregnancy prevention.
7. Identify potential barriers to implementing the Reducing the Risk Curriculum and describe strategies for overcoming those barriers.
8. Complete a Next Steps Plan to implement Reducing the Risk with the youth they serve.
Event Target Audience:
Youth serving providers and teachers selected to teach the Reducing the Risk curriculum.
Meredith Talford, MPH, CHES and Denise Marcano
Location & Address:
SC Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy Training Room: 1331 Elmwood Avenue Suite 300, Columbia, SC 29201
$600.00 (discounted registration is available for in-state registrants and funded partners of the SC Campaign)
February 1st, 2019
Late registration must be approved by the training manager, Shannon Lindsay (firstname.lastname@example.org or 803-771-7700), and is subject to a $25 late registration fee.
Participants must bring a copy of the Reducing the Risk (5th edition) curriculum as these are not provided. The curriculum can be purchased by visiting the publisher’s website at https://www.etr.org/store/product/reducing-the-risk-basic-set/.
If you are interested in additional information about this training and the possibility of having one in your area please contact our Training Manager, Shannon Lindsay, at email@example.com or 803-771-7700.
Cancellation Policy: Cancellations made by Febuary 1, 2019 will be fully refunded. No shows will forfeit all registration costs.
Inclement Weather Policy: The SC Campaign follows the City of Columbia for weather closings. We monitor and adjust as necessary. We make all efforts to connect with registrants via email to advise of office closing and delayed starts. In case of cancellation of training due to weather, we will refund registration fees and make all efforts to reschedule in a timely manner.