Making Proud Choices for Youth in Out-of-Home Care
This adaptation of the Making Proud Choices! 5th Edition program is a 10-module curriculum designed to empower in-care adolescents with greater knowledge and self-respect that will encourage them to protect themselves against unintended pregnancies and HIV/STD infection. Many young people entering the system have experienced traumas, including neglect and abuse, that impact their psychosocial and sexual development and increase the likelihood that they will engage in behaviors that place them at risk of early pregnancy and STDs. The curriculum acknowledges that abstinence is the most effective way to eliminate these risks, but also encourages the practice of safer sex and condom use, and gives youth in foster care the confidence they need to choose and negotiate safer-sex practices.
As a result of participating in this training, participants will be able to:
1. Understand the objectives, content, activities, and unique features of the Making Proud Choices! For Out of Home Youth (MPC+) Curriculum.
2. Understand the theoretical foundation of the MPC+ Curriculum and how they are applied in program activities.
3. Understand the teaching methodologies used in the MPC+ Curriculum.
4. Learn basic information relating to HIV, STDs, adolescent pregnancy prevention, adolescent sexual development and trauma informed care.
5. Demonstrate teaching condom use, problem solving, and negotiation skills.
6. Identify personal values and the impact of those values on their ability to effectively teach about adolescent sexuality issues.
7. Identify guidelines for answering sensitive questions regarding sexuality, HIV, STDs, and adolescent pregnancy prevention.
8. Identify potential barriers to implementing the MPC+ Curriculum and describe strategies for overcoming those barriers.
Event Target Audience:
Youth Serving providers working with youth in out-of-home placements
Katrina Upton, M. Ed., RN and Kandace Cave
SC Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy Training Room, 1331 Elmwood Avenue, Suite 300, Columbia, SC 29201
$600.00 (out-of-state) $400.00 (in-state) discounts available for funded partners
January 16th, 2019
Late registration must be approved by the training manager, Shannon Lindsay (firstname.lastname@example.org or 803-771-7700), and is subject to a $25 late registration fee.
If you are interested in additional information about this training and the possibility of having one in your area please contact our Training Manager, Shannon Lindsay, at email@example.com or 803-771-7700.
Cancellation Policy: Cancellations made by January 18th, 2019 will be fully refunded. No shows will forfeit all registration costs.
Inclement Weather Policy: The SC Campaign follows the City of Columbia for weather closings. We monitor and adjust as necessary. We make all efforts to connect with registrants via email to advise of office closing and delayed starts. In case of cancellation of training due to weather, we will refund registration fees and make all efforts to reschedule in a timely manner.