Making Proud Choices for Out of Home Youth (MPC+)
This adaptation of the Making Proud Choices! 5th Edition program is a 10-module curriculum designed to empower in-care adolescents with greater knowledge and self-respect that will encourage them to protect themselves against unintended pregnancies and HIV/STD infection. Many young people entering the system have experienced traumas, including neglect and abuse, that impact their psychosocial and sexual development and increase the likelihood that they will engage in behaviors that place them at risk of early pregnancy and STDs. The curriculum acknowledges that abstinence is the most effective way to eliminate these risks, but also encourages the practice of safer sex and condom use, and gives youth in foster care the confidence they need to choose and negotiate safer-sex practices.
As a participant, you will learn how to:
- Understand the objectives, content, activities, and unique features of the Making Proud Choices! For Out of Home Youth (MPC+) Curriculum.
- Understand the theoretical foundation of the MPC+ Curriculum and how they are applied in program activities.
- Understand the teaching methodologies used in the MPC+ Curriculum.
- Learn basic information relating to HIV, STDs, adolescent pregnancy prevention, adolescent sexual development and trauma informed care.
- Demonstrate teaching condom use, problem solving, and negotiation skills.
- Identify personal values and the impact of those values on their ability to effectively teach about adolescent sexuality issues.
- Identify guidelines for answering sensitive questions regarding sexuality, HIV, STDs, and adolescent pregnancy prevention.
- Identify potential barriers to implementing the MPC+ Curriculum and describe strategies for overcoming those barriers.
Trainers: Chris Rollison and Meredith Talford, MPH, CHES
SC Campaign Office
1331 Elmwood Avenue, Suite 140
Columbia, SC 29201