Making Proud Choices (MPC)
This training will introduce you to the research-proven curriculum – Making Proud Choices! – and will provide the skills necessary to implement the curriculum with youth. The curriculum consists of eight one-hour modules targeting middle school African American, Hispanic, and White adolescents. Making Proud Choices! takes a comprehensive approach to adolescent SEX and HIV/STD education, including both information on abstinence and contraception. Throughout this two-day training, you will learn how to become an effective facilitator of the curriculum and determine the relative fit of the curriculum with your target population.
After participating in this training, you will be able to:
- Understand the objectives, content, activities, and unique features of the Making Proud Choices! Curriculum.
- Understand the theoretical foundation of the Making Proud Choices! Curriculum and how they are applied in program activities.
- Understand the teaching methodologies used in the Making Proud Choices! Curriculum.
- Learn basic information relating to HIV, STDs, adolescent pregnancy prevention, and adolescent sexual development.
- Demonstrate teaching condom use, problem solving, and negotiation skills.
- Identify personal values and the impact of those values on their ability to effectively teach about adolescent sexuality issues.
- Identify guidelines for answering sensitive questions regarding sexuality, HIV, STDs, and adolescent pregnancy prevention.
- Identify potential barriers to implementing the Making Proud Choices! Curriculum and describe strategies for overcoming those barriers.
Cost: $120 (discount available for SC Campaign funded partners)
Trainers: Chris Rollison, Shannon Lindsay, MS, and Denise Rivera
Byrd Learning Center
1 Willis Circle
Graniteville, SC 29829