MAD/MPC Training of Facilitators
This training will introduce participants to two research proven curricula—Making a Difference! and Making Proud Choices! — and will provide the skills necessary to implement each of the curriculum with youth. Both curricula are integrated (teen pregnancy and HIV) prevention programs consisting of eight one-hour modules for middle school youth. Both curricula emphasize abstinence as the safest and best choice for adolescents. Making a Difference! emphasizes that young adolescents should postpone sexual activity and provides intensive educational strategies to help them do so. Making Proud Choices! covers abstinence in detail, but also emphasizes the importance of using condoms to reduce the risk of pregnancy and STD among sexually active participants. Throughout this two-day training participants will learn how to become facilitators of both curricula.
After participating in this training, you will be able to:
- Understand the objectives, content, activities, components, and unique features of the Making a Difference! (MAD) and Making Proud Choices! (MPC) Curricula.
- Understand the theoretical foundation of MAD and MPC and how they are applied in program activities.
- Understand the teaching methodologies used in MAD and MPC.
- Learn basic information relating to HIV, STDs, adolescent pregnancy prevention, and adolescent sexual development.
- Demonstrate teaching condom use, problem solving, and negotiation skills.
- Identify their own values and the impact of those values on their ability to effectively teach about adolescent sexuality issues.
- Identify guidelines for answering sensitive questions regarding sexuality, HIV, STDs, and adolescent pregnancy prevention.
- Identify potential barriers to implementing the Making a Difference! and Making Proud Choices! Curricula and describe strategies for overcoming these barriers.
Curriculum can be purchased from ETR:
- Making a Difference (MAD) — http://www.etr.org/ebi/programs/making-a-difference/
- Making Proud Choices (MPC) — http://www.etr.org/ebi/programs/making-proud-choices/
PLEASE NOTE: Participants should have access to copies of both MAD and MPC curriculum during this training. Trainers will be using the revised 5th edition versions NOT the school version. Questions about which version to purchase can be directed to your TA provider.
Cost: $120 (discounts available for grantees)
Trainers: Shannon Lindsay, MS and Denise Rivera
Dillon School District
1738 Highway 301 North
Dillon, SC 29536