Draw the Line/Respect the Line Training of Facilitators
Draw the Line/Respect the Line is a 3-year evidence-based curriculum that promotes abstinence by providing students in grades 6, 7 and 8 with the knowledge and skills to prevent HIV, other STDs and pregnancy. Using an interactive approach, the program shows students how to set personal limits and meet challenges to those limits. Lessons also include the importance of respecting others’ personal limits.This curriculum can be used by either classroom teachers or community-based educators. Educators interested in implementing this program should be skilled in using interactive teaching methods and guiding group discussions, and should be comfortable with the program content.
Participants will learn how to:
- Understand the objectives, content, activities, and unique features of the Draw the Line Respect the Line curriculum.
- Understand the theoretical foundation of the Draw the Line Respect the Line curriculum and how they are applied in program activities.
- Apply teaching methodologies used in the Draw the Line Respect the Line curriculum through Teach Back Sessions.
- Identify basic information relating to HIV and STD prevention, contraception and condom use.
- Identify personal values and the impact of those values on their ability to effectively teach about adolescent sexuality issues.
- Identify guidelines for answering sensitive questions regarding sexuality, HIV, STDs, and adolescent pregnancy prevention.
- Identify potential barriers to implementing the Draw the Line Respect the Line Curriculum and describe strategies for overcoming those barriers.
- Complete a Next Steps Plan to implement Draw the Line Respect the Line with the youth they serve.
Trainers: Chris Rollison and Shannon Lindsday, MA
SC Campaign Office
1331 Elmwood Avenue, Suite 140
Columbia, SC 29201