Be Proud! Be Responsible! Training of Facilitators
This training will introduce participants to a research proven curriculum – Be Proud! Be Responsible! Strategies to Empower Youth to Reduce Their Risk for HIV/AIDS – and will provide the skills necessary to implement the curriculum with youth. The curriculum consists of six, one-hour modules targeting adolescents of all socio-economic and racial backgrounds, ages 14-18 who attend high schools and youth-serving community based programs. Be Proud! Be Responsible! takes a comprehensive approach to adolescent SEX and HIV/STD education, including both information on abstinence and condoms. Throughout this two-day training, participants will learn how to become effective facilitators of the curriculum while learning tips for answering sensitive questions and how to identify potential barriers to implementing this evidence based program.
After participating in this training, you will be able to:
- Understand the objectives, content, activities, and unique features of the Be Proud! Be Responsible! Curriculum.
- Understand the theoretical foundation of the Be Proud! Be Responsible! Curriculum and how they are applied in program activities.
- Understand the teaching methodologies used in the Be Proud! Be Responsible! Curriculum.
- Learn basic information relating to HIV, STDs, adolescent pregnancy prevention, and adolescent sexual development.
- Demonstrate teaching condom use, problem solving, and negotiation skills.
- Identify personal values and the impact of those values on their ability to effectively teach about adolescent sexuality issues.
- Identify guidelines for answering sensitive questions regarding sexuality, HIV, STDs, and adolescent pregnancy prevention.
- Identify potential barriers to implementing the Be Proud! Be Responsible! Curriculum and describe strategies for overcoming those barriers.
Curriculum can be purchased from ETR: http://www.etr.org/ebi/programs/be-proud-be-responsible/
PLEASE NOTE: Participants should have access a copy of the BPBR curriculum during this training. Trainers will be using the revised 5th edition. Questions about purchasing curriculum can be directed to you TA provider or to Shannon Lindsay, SC Campaign Training Coordinator.
Cost: $120 (discounts available for grantees)
Trainers: Chris Rollison and Meredith Talford, MPH, CHES
Dillon School District
1738 Highway 301 North
Dillon, SC 29536