Making a Difference!
Curriculum Source: www.etr.org
Main Message: The goal of Making A Difference! is to empower young adolescents to change their behavior in ways that will reduce their risk of becoming infected with HIV and other STDs and their risk for pregnancy. Specifically, this curriculum emphasizes that young adolescents should postpone sexual activity and that practicing abstinence is the only way to eliminate the risk for pregnancy and STDs, including HIV.
Target Population: Both genders from all racial backgrounds, 11-13 years old.
Length: Eight lessons, 60 minutes.
Program Size: 6-15 participants.
- Increased knowledge about prevention of HIV, STDs and pregnancy.
- More positive attitudes/beliefs about abstinence.
- Increased confidence in their ability to negotiate abstinence.
- Increased negotiation skills.
- Stronger intentions to abstain from sex.
- A lower incidence of STD/HIV risk-associated sexual behavior.
- A stronger sense of pride and responsibility in making a difference.