The South Carolina Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy (SC Campaign) was founded in 1994 to combat increasingly high rates of teen pregnancy in our state. Since that time, the SC Campaign has been the only organization in South Carolina that works in all regions of the state exclusively focused on the reduction of teen pregnancy.
After 23 years of dedication and commitment to the issue, great progress has been made in our state but much work remains. Between 1991 and 2016, teen birth rates in South Carolina decreased by 67%. Even with such remarkable progress, 10 girls age 15-19 in South Carolina give birth every day in 2016 and the state has the 16th highest teen birth rate in the nation (2015).
While we pause and celebrate the accomplishments, we understand there is no time for complacency, thus making the work of the SC Campaign of vital importance. Our objective is to build the capacity of local communities to address teen pregnancy within their own neighborhoods through mission-based focus areas of:
- training and technical assistance
- public awareness and advocacy, and;
- research and evaluation.
Our dedicated staff instructs and assists community leaders who are helping teens make smarter decisions about reproductive health. We are transforming South Carolina by training youth-serving professionals, initiating communication within families, and advocating for grassroots programs that will educate and empower teens.
About Us Brochure
To improve the health and economic well being of individuals, communities, and the state of South Carolina by preventing teen pregnancy.
Healthy Youth. Bright Futures. Strong Communities.
- The prevention of teen pregnancy is in the best interest of adolescents, their families and their communities.
- Parents should be equipped to be the primary educators of their children about love, sex and relationships.
- The most effective health and sexuality education is age-appropriate and medically accurate, emphasizes abstinence and provides information about contraception.
- The use of research proven curricula and programs will reduce teen pregnancy.
- In partnering with all sectors of the community to implement effective strategies to reduce teen pregnancy.
- Young men and women should be respected for their unique traits and characteristics and empowered to take control of their own reproductive health and wellness.
- In maintaining a staff and board of directors that is talented, diverse and representative of the populations we serve.
- INCREASE ENGAGEMENT to maximize impact
- IMPACT SYSTEMS to create sustainable change
- PUSH INNOVATION to respond to a changing environment
- BE ACCOUNTABLE to our mission and best practices
Learn more about our Strategic Plan.